What to expect? Prep time: 45mns Cooking: 30-40mns Difficulty level: Elaborate
What you need:
For the filling
- 1 lb ground beef, chicken or turkey (For Veggie option see Delices Creoles twist at the bottom)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic clove, minced (can use powdered garlic)
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. seasoning salt
- 1/2 scotch bonnet pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. thyme (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. rosemary (optional)
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste (optional)
For the dough:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Lard (Manteca) or substitute with 1 cup of vegetable shortening and 1/4 c. butter mixed together (at room temperature)
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
What to do:
- Combine salt water and flour in a large bowl.
- Mix well using your hands.
- Generously dust surface area.
- Knead until dough is firm and slightly sticky.
- Roll the pastry into a ball.
- Pack it up in a plastic wrap. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Over medium heat, heat oil in a skillet or saucepan.
- Add onions, garlic, shallot, peppers and seasoning mixture.
- Stir-fry for 1 minute until softened.
- Add the meat and simmer with water until meat is tender and water is absorbed.
- Add tomato paste and stir well until medium brown.
Finishing the dough
- On a clean surface area, dust with flour generously to prevent dough from sticking.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten the dough and stretch in a rectangular circle.
- Roll dough front to back and back to front until 1/8 inch thick.
- Spread the lard or shortening mix generously.
- Fold in the flaps to cover over coated areas.
- Sprinkle the dough with flour and roll out evenly.
- Form into a ball and set aside for 15 minutes.
Making the patties
- Preheat oven at 375°
- Unwrap dough and roll out evenly.
- Divide into disc like shapes.
- Roll disc dough, as thin as possible.
- Place disc dough in the palm of your hands and extend pieces with fingers.
- Add filling. Fold dough and seal edges.
- Bake at 300° until golden brown.
- Serve warm.
Delices Creoles twist:
- Both dough and filling can be prepared the day before and refrigerated until ready to go to “Making the patties” step.
- Meat can also be replaced with steamed vegetables (spinach, carrot etc…)