What to expect? Prep time: 5mns Cooking: 30-40mns Difficulty level: Easy
What you need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup coarse yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
What to do:
- Heat the oil in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion and garlic until barely golden, about 6 minutes.
- Add 4 1/2 cups water, and bring to a boil.
- Pour in the cornmeal in a thin stream, stirring constantly
- Add the parsley, thyme, salt and black pepper.
- Stir for a few minutes to avoid lumps.
- Lower heat to a gentle simmer.
- Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the cornmeal is tender, with a soft but not runny consistency, 20 to 25 minutes.
Delices Creoles’ twitst:
- Serve with sliced avocado
- Add in chopped spinach 30 seconds right before taking off the burner